Red ginseng has been used for centuries and has many benefits for the skin, hair and health. Let’s explore the miracles it does for the skin and why SMD uses Red Ginseng in the Saromae Moisture skincare line.
Ginseng is most often included as an anti-aging ingredient in facial moisturizers. Several medical studies have shown its effectiveness in fighting wrinkles due to ginseng’s ability to boost skin-firming collagen. The herb also acts as a whitener, giving the skin a brighter and more youthful appearance.
Heal and Calm
Ginseng is a valuable commodity in herbal medicine for its ability to encourage skin regeneration. It is considered a strong anti-aging skincare treatment because of its reputation for stimulating and rejuvenating skin from the inside, out. It rids your skin of free radicals that gets accumulated when your skin is regularly exposed to sunlight and environmental pollution.
- Anti-wrinkle: A 2009 study on women over 40 with photo aged skin (skin damaged by sun exposure), reported that a mixture of red ginseng extract and other herbs improved facial wrinkles and enhanced the production of collagen, which helps strength skin.
- Anti-aging: Another study that same year found that red ginseng extract had a protective effect against skin photo aging caused by chronic sun exposure, potentially due to its ability to increase collagen synthesis. Supporting collagen synthesis is important because as we age, collagen becomes stiffer and weaker, and turnover takes longer than when we were younger. Improving collagen production helps retain skin’s elasticity and strength.
- Protect against sun damage: Researchers also found that it helped protect skin, preventing UVB-induced skin photo aging at very low doses.
- Improve blood circulation: Ginseng has shown in several studies to help improve blood circulation, which can help the skin receive more of the nutrients it needs to be vital and healthy.
- Improves acne and rosacea: Ginseng helps refine the skin and counteract dryness, and because of its anti-inflammatory properties, can help reduce acne outbreaks and may tone down rosacea and psoriasis.
- Brightens skin tone: Some small studies on ginseng berry extract have found that it has potential in lightening and brightening skin, helping to inhibit the production of melanin, which gives skin its color and can contribute to hyper-pigmentation. Specifically, researchers found that ginseng could help protect skin from the type of pigmentation that is caused by UV radiation—the sun.
Pretty amazing stuff isn’t it?!